JKPSC KAS Mains 2021 Zoology Paper 2:
Please read each of the following instructions carefully before attempting the paper.
(i) There are eight questions divided in two Sections and printed in English. Candidate has to attempt Five questions in All. Questions No. 1 and 5 are compulsory and out of the remaining, any Three are to be attempted choosing at least One question from each Section. The number of marks carried by a Question/Part is indicated against it. Answers must be written in English in Question-Cum-Answer (QCA) Booklet in the space provided.
(ii) Your answer should be precise and coherent.
(iii) If you encounter any typographical error, please read it as it appears in the text book.
(iv) Candidates are in their own interest advised to go through the general instructions on the back side of the title page of the Answer Script for strict adherence.
(v) No continuation sheets shall be provided to any candidate under any circumstances.
(vi) No blank page be left in between answer to various questions.
1. Write answer in about 150 words for each of the following:
(a) What is translation? Explain the process in a prokaryote. (10)
(b) Differentiate between molecular taxonomy and classical taxonomy. (10)
(c) Describe Hardy-Weinberg law and mention its underlying assumptions. (10)
(d) Describe the mechanism of sex determination in man. (10)
(e) Define lampbrush and polytene chromosomes and comment on their occurrence. (10)
2. (a) Using diagrams where necessary, describe the structure of rods and cones and compare their physiological properties. (20)
(b) Define paleontology. Discuss the chronological order of horse evolution. (15)
(c) Describe genetic and induced teratogenesis giving suitable examples. Also enumerate its medical implications. (15)
3. (a) What is fluid mosaic model? Discuss the role of lipids in maintaining the fluidity of plasma membrane. (20)
(b) Write the application of RFLP in DNA fingerprinting and explain the use of VNTRs in paternity tests.
(c) Explain the ‘Michaelis-Menten equation’ and write its significance in enzyme kinetics. (15)
4. (a) Explain embryonic stem cells. With the help of a flow chart, explain the process of developing transgenic mice using these embryonic stem cells. Differentiate transgenic vs knock-out mice. (20)
(b) Differentiate between genomics and proteomics. Comment upon Human genome project. (15)
(c) What is DNA cloning? Write down the applications of plasmids, cosmids and artificial chromosomes in recombinant DNA technology. (15)
5. (a) Describe the role of acetylcholine at neuromuscular junction. (10)
(b) Describe the continental drift. Current distribution of animals is a result of continental drift. Explain?
(c) Write a note on cardiac pacemakers. (10)
(d) Write a note on “ontogeny recapitulates phylogeny”. (10)
(e) Comment on structure of proteins. (10)
6. (a) Give the structure of ATP, AMP and cyclic AMP. Describe their role in Krebs cycle and oxidative phosphorylation. (20)
(b) Describe the origin of lysosomes and state the role of its different enzymes. (15)
(c) Define the role of hormones in male and female gametogenesis. (15)
7. (a) Describe the mechanism of oxygen and carbon dioxide transport in blood. (20)
(b) Explain the process of oogenesis. Discuss the importance of meiotic arrest during oogenesis. (15)
(c) Give an account of structure and function of nephron and explain the regulatory mechanism by the Renin-Angiotensin-Aldosterone systems. (15)
8. (a) Mention the sources, types and uses of stem cells in human welfare. (20)
(b) Write down the name of different kind of immunoglobulins and their functions. Explain Rh incompatibility in human beings and mention which immunoglobulin is involved in it and why? (15)
(c) Describe how polarity is established during embryonic development and comment on its significance with reference to the gradient theory. (15)