Characteristics of Prokaryotic Cells:
(1) It has one envelope system.
(2) It is small in size (0.1 to 5.0 μm) in diameter.
(3) Cell wall is formed of peptidoglycans.
(4) The cytoplasm lacks mitochondria, endoplasmic reticulum, Golgi apparatus, centrioles, micro-filaments and microtubules etc.
(5) Ribosomes are of 70 S type.
(6) Cell membrane may infold to form mesosomes or photo-synthetic lamella (thylakoids) located freely in the cytoplasm.
(7) A well-organized nucleus is not found (Nuclear material without nuclear membrane).
(8) DNA is a circular associated with few proteins and found in the cytoplasm.
(9) Transcription and translation take place in the cytoplasm.
(10) Spindle fibres are not formed during cell division.
(11) Cytoplasm does not exhibit streaming movements.
(12) Sap vacuoles are absent and only gas vacuoles are found.
(13) Flagella does not show a 9+2 fibrillar arrangement.