JKPSC KAS Mains 2022 Public Administration Paper 1:
Please read each of the following instructions carefully before attempting the paper.
(i) There are eight questions divided in two Sections and printed in English. Candidate has to attempt Five questions in All. Questions No. 1 and 5 are compulsory and out of the remaining, any Three are to be attempted choosing at least One question from each Section. The number of marks carried by a Question/Part is indicated against it. Answers must be written in English in Question-Cum-Answer (QCA) Booklet in the space provided.
(ii) Your answer should be precise and coherent.
(iii) If you encounter any typographical error, please read it as it appears in the text book.
(iv) Candidates are in their own interest advised to go through the general instructions on the back side of the title page of the Answer Script for strict adherence.
(v) No continuation sheets shall be provided to any candidate under any circumstances.
(vi) No blank page be left in between answer to various questions.
1. Answer the following questions in roughly 150 words each: (5 x 10 = 50)
(a) Examine the meaning and scope of public administration. Briefly discuss its significance in the present times. (10)
(b) “New Public Management is a paradigm shift in public administration”. Do you agree to this view. Give reasons for your answer. (10)
(c) Critically examine the relevance of classical theories of organization. Do they explain the changing dynamics of organizations in contemporary times? (10)
(d) What are the main trends of the Scientific Management Theory of Organization? To what extent are modern organizations a reflection of this theory? Discuss. (10)
(e) Human Relations Theory of organization is an improvement over the classical theory of organization.” Discuss. (10)
2. (a) “Decision-Making is the heart of public administration”. In the light of the above statement discuss the contribution of decision-making theory. What are the steps to be taken to make decision making process efficient and transparent? Examine. (20)
(b) How does Public Private Partnership [PPP] model contribute towards the process of development and governance? Examine the role of PPP model in promoting participatory governance. (15)
(c) Define Interest Group and explain their role in ensuring accountability and control over administration with suitable illustrations. (15)
3. (a) Do you think Citizens’ Charter is an effective instrument of administrative accountability? How does it contribute to good governance? Examine. (20)
(b) “Development Administration is an action and goal oriented administrative system”. Comment. (15)
(c) “Delegated Legislation seeks to solve the problem of congestion at the Headquarters’ level”. In the light of the above statement, examine the methods of “Delegation”. (15)
4. (a) How do you situate Women Self Help Groups in the administrative ecosystem? Examine how they impact the lives of women in terms of their empowerment and emancipation. (20)
(b) Briefly discuss the various models of public policy and critically examine their relevance in the new age transformative governance. (15)
(c) Examine the major debates of globalisation and analyse its impact on public administration. (15)
5. Answer the following questions in roughly 150 words each: (5 x 10 = 50)
(a) Development of human resources is an integral part of the general economic planning. Do you agree? Give reasons for your answer. (10)
(b) Critically examine F. W. Riggs Ecological Approach. Does it provide the best solutions to the needs of the developing countries? Examine. (10)
(c) Leadership is instrumental in motivating the groups and improving organisational performance. In the light of the above statement, briefly examine the modern theories of leadership. (10)
(d) ‘Right to Information is an assertion of citizens’ right to participate in democratic governance.’ Comment and give your suggestions to make it more effective. (10)
(e) Do you agree that good governance can become an effective instrument of inclusive development? Comment. (10)
6. (a) What do you understand by e-governance? Give illustrations on how it has impacted the efficiency of administration. (20)
(b) ‘Recruitment is the cornerstone of the whole personnel structure.’ With reference to the statement briefly outline the pre requisites of a good recruitment system. (15)
(c) What is the differences between promotion and performance appraisal? Discuss the new methods of performance appraisal. (15)
7. (a) Critically evaluate the recent innovations in Fiscal Management with special reference to Green Budget and Gender Budget. (20)
(b) Discuss the relationship between accountability and ethical governance. (15)
(c) What do you understand by Public Grievances? Briefly discuss its relevance and the institutional mechanisms for its redressal. (15)
8. (a) Legislative control over the executive is one of the basic tenets of democratic government. Discuss some of the major forms of legislative control. (20)
(b) What do you understand by civil society? Discuss the relationship between civil society and the state. (15)
(c) Discuss the changing role of the State and Public Administartion in an eco-system dominated by market economy. (15)