JKPSC KAS Mains 2022 Sociology Paper 1:
Please read each of the following instructions carefully before attempting the paper.
(i) There are eight questions divided in two Sections and printed in English. Candidate has to attempt Five questions in All. Questions No. 1 and 5 are compulsory and out of the remaining, any Three are to be attempted choosing at least One question from each Section. The number of marks carried by a Question/Part is indicated against it. Answers must be written in English in Question-Cum-Answer (QCA) Booklet in the space provided.
(ii) Your answer should be precise and coherent.
(iii) If you encounter any typographical error, please read it as it appears in the text book.
(iv) Candidates are in their own interest advised to go through the general instructions on the back side of the title page of the Answer Script for strict adherence.
(v) No continuation sheets shall be provided to any candidate under any circumstances.
(vi) No blank page be left in between answer to various questions.
1. Answer the following questions in about 150 words each. (5 x 10 = 50)
(a) Why did Durkheim Study Totemism? (10)
(b) What is “Verstehen”? (10)
(c) What is case study method? (10)
(d) Compare and contrast Sociology and Jurisprudence. (10)
(e) Knowledge about society is obtained with scientific methods. Explain with suitable examples.
2. (a) Explain Durkheim’s basic arguments on suicide. Can the high suicide rates in India be analysed in light of Durkheim’s theory. (20)
(b) Discuss the cause and consequences of labour movements in liberalized India. (15)
(c) Compare and contrast between comparative and inverse deductive method. (15)
3. (a) Auguste Comte’s thinking reflected the tempestuous events of his period, Discuss. (20)
(b) The changes in individual personality and thought process lead to changes in the social system. Discuss. (15)
(c) Domestic violence by one member of the family against another impacts the mental wellbeing of children. Explain. (15)
4. (a) How does technology change our work activities in industrial capitalist society? Discuss. (20)
(b) How according to Marx, are human beings alienated from their human potential and what is the remedy he suggests? (15)
(c) Critically discuss Max Weber’s idea of bureaucracy. (15)
5. Answer the following in about 150 words each: (10 x 5 = 50)
(a) What is Bio-Social system? (10)
(b) Emile Durkheim was not merely a Sociologist, he was a Philosopher, too. Illustrate. (10)
(c) Discuss Talcott Parsons idea of Cultural system. (10)
(d) Discuss Auguste Comte’s idea of Social Statics and Social Dynamics. (10)
(e) Illustrate Robin Fox’s four basic principles to study of kinship and marriage. (10)
6. (a) For Mead, the self is far more than an “internalization of components of social structure and culture”. Illustrate. (20)
(b) What is occupational segregation? Discuss with contemporary issues of gender based segregation at work. (15)
(c) Discuss Emile Durkheim’s critique of Animism and Naturalism with suitable examples. (15)
7. (a) What is labelling and control theory of deviance? Discuss with suitable examples. (20)
(b) Modern technology Acts as potential instrument of social transformation. Critically discuss. (15)
(c) What is Phenomenalism, Pragmatism and logical empiricism? (15)
8. (a) Discuss the idea of stratification by education with suitable examples. (20)
(b) “The sacred thing is, par excellence, that which the profane must not and cannot touch with impunity”. Illustrate with examples. (15)
(c) Discuss and differentiate Black feminism and post modern feminism. (15)