Table of Contents
A software developer is a professional in the field of computer science whose responsibility is building and designing computer programs. Some of them are responsible for underlying operating system building and some others are responsible for web, desktop, and mobile application development. Other digital architecture and computer games are also developed by the software developer. They use their skills for writing the code of the internal programmes that support making business more efficient and also develop software that can be sold by companies in the market.
Combination of job search strategies, knowledge of industries, soft skills, and technical skills are required to land a high-paying job as a software developer.
Soft Skills You Should Have to Land a High-Paying Job as a Software Developer:
To get a respectable salary, a software developer must have some soft skills along with technical skills. Only technical skills are not sufficient to get an increment in salary. They must have some soft skills also.
Soft skills such as teamwork, fluent communication, confidence, etc provide a very big help to a software developer in landing a high pay job.
(1) Communication- For solving the problem statement, communication also seems to play an important role in providing more effective and better solutions. Software developers are required to communicate needs, workflow, required technologies, needs, and many more aspects related to the development of the software.
(2) Teamwork- Teamwork is always considered an important factor for working in the field of computer science. TeamWork always helps in providing better software output.
(3) Multitasking- When more than one task is performed at a time, then it is known as multitasking. Software developers can perform various tasks at once without even disturbing the output.
(4) Problem-Solving- It is important to have the skill of problem-solving to develop a better solution for a particular problem. At first, developers must understand the problem and then give a software-specific solution regarding it. There are also ever-evolving bugs and problem statements, along with the advantages of ever-evolving technology.
Top 10 Technical Skills for Software Developers:
Below is the list of technical skills that software developers possess so that they can easily land a high pay job as a software developer:
(1) Data Structures & Algorithms- When hiring software developers, most technical companies want developers that must have deep knowledge of the two most important technical skills i.e, algorithms and data structure. As the efficiency in data structures and algorithms is directly dependent on the ability to solve the problems and coding skills.
It may be the possibility that in the early stage of learning, developers do not know the importance of learning algorithms and data structure. But when you start progressing in your career, you must realize its importance, when your code takes more memory or more time in the system.
In any software developer interview, data structure and algorithms play a very important role. So, it is important to upgrade your knowledge regarding Data structure and algorithms such as stacks, queues, trees, arrays, Linked lists, etc.
(2) Cloud Computing- Improved scalability, cost-effective infrastructure, and flexibility are some of the most important features of cloud computing that make companies and various domains move towards it. It means that the company in which you are working may suddenly switch to cloud computing then they surely expect from you that you can work on a cloud-based application.
If any software developer has familiarity and hands-on experience in one of the available cloud platforms such as Microsoft Azure, Google Cloud Platform, and Amazon Web Services then it proves to be beneficial over others.
(3) Git and GitHub- For any software developer, it is mandatory to learn about version control tools such as SVN, Git, etc. The market is covered by git and GitHub to a very large extent. Currently, Git is used by almost 70% of companies.
You have to put in some extra effort while learning Git so that you can know about advanced version control concepts like merging, branching, command line, and GUI.
(4) Containers (Docker and Kubernetes)– All software developers need to learn about some important container tools such as Kubernetes and Docker. Developers can perform testing easily in the unified environment by the containers and containers also makes the implementation of deployment processes easier.
(5) IDEs (VSCode or IntelliJIDEA)- There are so many modern IDEs present in the market. Some of them seem to be critical for programmers such as Eclipse, Visual Studio Code, and so on. You should use VS code for C, C++, and C# programming language and on the other hand use Jupiter Notebook for Python language.
(6) Database and SQL- It is assumed that every programmer has the essential knowledge of databases, due to their popularity in the world of web development. Programmers must be aware of some concepts of databases such as join, normalization, DDL, DML, DCL, and creation of tables along with SQL and many more.
Any of the famous databases can be selected by the developer for learning such as PostgreSQL, Microsoft SQL Server, MySQL, or Oracle. Familiarity with one of the popular databases matters and a developer can also able to perform CRUD (create, read, update, and delete) operations with the database.
(7) Linux (UNIX)- Now it has become common for most software developers to work on UNIX systems. So understanding the UNIX operating system also helps a developer to some extent.
(9) Computer Networks- It is not possible to develop any software application standalone. They can interact with each other with the help of computer networks. This is the reason which makes computer networks necessary to support and develop applications.
(10) Scripting- Frequently occurring programming problems can be solved easily using the tools and scripts created by the scripting language.
It becomes very easy to automate the most undone task if the person has a good knowledge of scripting languages such as Python and many more. Python is considered one of the programming languages that can be used for both OOPs coding as well as scripting. It is just like an example of killing two birds with one stone.
Some other Factors Required for Becoming the Software Developer:
(1) Development of Strong Foundation- A person requires a strong foundation in the field of software development to land a high-paying job. Software project development, understanding of data structure and algorithms, and understanding of one or more programming languages build a strong foundation for software developers.
(2) Learn more skills- There is a great chance of getting a high pay software developer job by improving your software development skills. And following factors are responsible for this-
- More tasks are completed by you as you are more skilled now
- And money and time are also saved because, for the task completion, you are not required to appoint or train any other employee.
- More value can be provided by you to the employer.
(3) Course and Certification- There is a chance of getting a high-paying job in any field by getting more certifications. One can expect a higher salary, as higher the certification and courses they have. Certification and courses help the recruiter to get to know that the person has a great knowledge of that particular topic.
(4) Specialization Selection- Selecting a particular topic for the specialization increases the chance of getting a high-paying job easily. For instance, a software developer can specialize in machine learning, data science, web development, app development, etc.
LinkedIn helps the person to search the job opening easily as the company updates the ongoing hiring on their LinkedIn page. The person only requires to follow the linkedIn page of the company and then they will get updates on the hiring of the company. And good LinkedIn profile also helps a developer to get hired easily as the recruiter reach automatically the people with good LinkedIn profiles for hiring.
Switching companies also help a developer in getting an increment in salary. Switching companies is considered the best way to increase salaries by many people. Negotiation skills and telling the advantages of hiring you as an employee helps the person in increasing the salary of a software developer.
- A software developer is a professional in the field of computer science whose responsibility is building and designing computer programs.
- Software developers are responsible for building web applications, desktop applications, mobile applications, games, and other digital architecture.
- Combination of job search strategies, knowledge of industries, soft skills, and technical skills are required for Landing a high-paying job as a software developer.
- Communication, Teamwork, Multitasking, and Problem-solving are some of the soft skills required to land a high-paying job as a Software Developer.
- Data Structures & Algorithms, Cloud Computing, Git, and GitHub are some of the technical skills required for the software developer.
Written By Ankit Dixit:
Ankit Dixit is a content specialist with 3+ years of experience and he is passionate about creating compelling and informative content that engages readers and delivers value in writing about cutting-edge technologies, including programming, cloud computing, web development, and cyber security.
Dynamics 365 Business Central Functional Tutorial– ERP Consultors