Hinayana and Mahayana:-
- Lesser Vehicle.
- No idol worship.
- Gautam Buddha- Teacher / Saint / Reformer.
- Concept of Bodhisattva philosophy (previous birth of buddha).
- Belive in individual nirvan / personal nirvan.
- Text are written in Pali Language.
- Greater Vehicle.
- Idol worship.
- Gautam Buddha- God.
- Bodhisattva are those persons who are destined to become buddha.
- Nirvan for all.
- Text are written in Sanskrit.
- Vinaya Pitaka – Rules of Monastic discipline for Bhikkus.
- Sutta Pitaka– discourses delivered by Buddha.
- Abhidamma Pitaka– philosophical sayings of the Buddha & their interpretations. It contains an account of the Mauiyan Emperor Ashoka.
- Jataka – Stories of Buddha’s former lives.
–> Bhikku – torch bearer of the dhamma act as friend, philosopher and guide in all religious and social matters.
–> Kosala & Magadh associated with the life of Buddha.
–> Buddhist Nirvana – escape from existence.
–> Buddha preached in Pali language.