Adjective and its Kinds:
What is Adjective?
An Adjective is a word that is used to qualify or modify a noun or pronoun; as,
- A sweet mango.
- A green coat.
- A careless boy.
The words sweet, green and careless qualify or modify the nouns mango, coat and boy respectively and thus limit their meaning and application.
Kinds of Adjectives:
There are nine kinds of Adjectives. They are as follows-
(1) Proper Adjectives are formed from Proper nouns; as,
- The Indian soldier (the soldier of India).
- The French apple (the apple of France).
- The English language (the language of England).
- The Kashmir silk (the silk of Kashmir).
Note- A Proper Adjective must with a capital letter.
(2) Descriptive Adjectives or Adjectives of Quality show the kind, state or quality of a person or thing; as,
- A brave boy.
- A good game.
- A lucky chance.
- A silk girl.
(3) Quantitative Adjectives or Adjectives of Quantity show how much of a thing is meant; as,
- Much (or little, same, no, any, enough, sufficient) milk.
- A half holiday.
- All day.
- The whole bread.
- Great joy.
(4) Numeral Adjective or Adjectives of Numbers show many persons or things are meant and in what order or how many times they are taken; as,
- Ten girls.
- Second chapter.
- Double share.
- All men.
Adjectives of Number are of three kinds-
(I) Definite Numeral Adjectives; as,
- One, two, three, four, etc. (cardinal numbers).
- First, second, third, fourth, etc. (ordinal numbers).
(II) Indefinite Numeral Adjectives; as,
- All girls.
- A few boys.
- Several times.
- Some men.
- Any person.
- No guest.
(III) Distributive Numeral Adjectives; as, each, every, either, neither, etc.
(5) Demonstrative Adjectives are used to point out which person or thing is meant; as,
- This chair.
- That mango.
- These boys.
- Those girls.
- Such men.
- The same book.
Note: A, An and The are also Demonstrative Adjectives. They are called the Articles.
(6) Distributive Adjectives refer to each one of a number; as,
- Each boy.
- Every man.
- Either or neither side.
(7) Interrogative Adjectives are used with Nouns to ask questions; as,
- Whose book is this?
- Which pen do you like most?
- What book is that?
(8) Emphasizing Adjectives lay emphasis on the Noun or Pronoun to which they belong; as,
- This is my own pen.
- This is the very pen I wanted.
- It is the same boy that stole my hat.
(9) Exclamatory Adjective- the word what when used with nouns to show surprise; as
- What nonsense!
- What a misfortune!
- What joy!
|Pronoun and its Kinds||Essay on My Favourite Poet|
|Kinds of Noun||Essay on Friendship|
|Essay on The System of Examination||Essay on An Ideal Sportsman|
|Essay on My Favourite Hero||Nationalism– NIOS|